Unbelievably, here we are at the start of another year!
It felt like the year moved at lightening pace and compared to 2016, it was a much happier and brighter year for many people.
I always like the new year because it’s the perfect time for reflection and contemplation. How was the year that passed and how do I want the coming year to be? It’s a time to take stock, appreciate the amazing things that happened, learn from the moments that weren’t so great and get clear on how we are going to show up for the next 12 months.
It’s a great time to create a list so you are able to track your progress, not only through the year but over the years to come. I love to read other people’s blogs and I came across a particularly awesome one during the year by Robin Sharma. It’s a list that he has created and I wanted to share it with you.
For those of you who are unfamiliar with Robin Sharma, he is considered to be one of the top 5 leadership experts in the world. He is a best selling author, speaker, coach and mentor and his work is embraced by rock stars, royalty, billionaires and many celebrity CEOs.
This particular blog is made up of 60 different tips to include in your life so that you “craft an exceptional life”
Robin Sharma says ” Ultimately, life goes by in a blink. And too many people live the same year 80 times. To avoid getting to the end and feeling flooded regret over a life half-lived, read and then apply these tips”
Here they are:
- Exercise daily.
- Get serious about gratitude.
- See your work as a craft.
- Expect the best and prepare for the worst.
- Keep a journal.
- Read “The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin”.
- Plan a schedule for your week.
- Know the 5 highest priorities of your life.
- Say no to distractions.
- Drink a lot of water.
- Improve your work every single day.
- Get a mentor.
- Hire a coach.
- Get up at 5 am each day.
- Eat less food.
- Find more heroes.
- Be a hero to someone.
- Smile at strangers.
- Be the most ethical person you know.
- Don’t settle for anything less than excellence.
- Savor life’s simplest pleasures.
- Save 10% of your income each month.
- Spend time at art galleries.
- Walk in the woods.
- Write thank you letters to those who’ve helped you.
- Forgive those who’ve wronged you.
- Remember that leadership is about influence and impact, not title and accolades.
- Create unforgettable moments with those you love.
- Have 5 great friends.
- Become stunningly polite.
- Unplug your TV.
- Sell your TV.
- Read daily.
- Avoid the news.
- Be content with what you have.
- Pursue your dreams.
- Be authentic.
- Be passionate.
- Say sorry when you know you should.
- Never miss a moment to celebrate another.
- Have a vision for your life.
- Know your strengths.
- Focus your mind on the good versus the lack.
- Be patient.
- Don’t give up.
- Clean up your messes.
- Use impeccable words.
- Travel more.
- Read “As You Think”.
- Honor your parents.
- Tip taxi drivers well.
- Be a great teammate.
- Give no energy to critics.
- Spend time in the mountains.
- Know your top 5 values.
- Shift from being busy to achieving results.
- Innovate and iterate.
- Speak less. Listen more.
- Be the best person you know.
- Make your life matter.
I just LOVED this list, there is so much gold in it!
So as you moved forward into the new year, take a handful of these beautiful tips and add them to your life.
If you truly are committed to living an exceptional life, take and apply them all.
Happy new year and may your 2018 be your best year yet.